The Assam Forest department to engage experts to find scientific ways to save elephants from lightning. This decision has come after 18 elephants died last month due to lightning in the Barhampur area of Nagaon district.
The post-mortem carried has confirmed that jumbos died due to "accidental electrocution by lightning." The findings also stated that one of the carcasses had "charred marks" on the ear and a "burnt streak" over the left shoulder blade. Another had similar marks on its footpad.
The histopathology report said that the lesions were "suggestive of high-intensity electrical burn injuries." "The incident was very tragic.”
So the Forest department is trying hard to prevent and minimize a repeat of such incidents in future. There are also possibilities of installing anti-lightning devices along the elephant corridors and jumbo-inhabited areas will be explored by the forest department.