The one of the most celebrated Hindu festivals, Navratri is already here.
Navratri holds the supreme significance as it celebrates the victory of good over the evil and is highly dedicated to Ma Durga and her nine avatars.
This festival marks the arrival of Goddess Durga on Earth, devotees worship and offer prayers with special food to the nine avatars of Ma Durga.
The Navratri vrat needs special mention as a number of devotees observe fast to please Ma Durga with their devotion and faith.
Most of the devotees observes fast for ten days, while few keep them in jodas (couple)- the first two or last two days or the first and the last days of the Navratri.
Although, there are several fasting rules that devotees follow to avoid any mistakes during the fast of Navratri.
1. If you are observing navratri fast, then you should not consume regular grains like wheat and rice. But, there are alternatives such as Kuttu ka Atta, Singhare ka Atta or Rajgira ka Atta that can be consumed.
2. In a Navratri fast, you can consume all fruits and dry fruits and even some devotees observe fast only with fruits and milk for all nine days.
3. During Navratri, devotees follow a strict vegetarian diet and vegetables such as potatoes, sweet potato, semi-ripe pumpkin or raw pumpkin are given preference during the festival days.
4. Devotees can consume milk and dairy products including paneer also known as cottage cheese, white butter, ghee, malai or recipes prepared with milk during fasting.
5. While observing the fast, the devotees must avoid using the normal table salt, instead they can use alternative rock salt or 'sendha namak' for cooking recipes during Navratri. However, devotees can use different spices such as cumin or cumin powder, ajwain, cinnamon, green cardamom, cloves, black pepper powder, etc.
6. Devotees must refrained the consumption of onion, garlic and spices such as Haldi (Turmeric), Dhania (Coriander) and also the heat-generating foods as well as oils such as mustard oil or sesame oil must also be refrained.
7. Consumption of any kind of meat, eggs alcohol and tobacco is strictly forbidded during Navratri.