Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, widely known as Mahatma Gandhi was not just one of the prominent figure in Indian freedom movement but also was the face of it to the rest of the world.
Gandhi philosophies of non-violence, civil disobedience and a will of steel helped to wipe out the most powerful empire the world had ever seen.
These philosophies of Gandhi have always found space in Bollywood and many renowned filmmakers have even tried to portray him on the big screen.
B-town has always managed to keep the Gandhian spirit alive and on his 153th birth anniversaryof Gandhi, here is the list of five top movies that were made on him.
1. Gandhi (1982) : This cult classic was renowned filmmaker Richard Attenborough’s dream project Gandhi. Indian-origin British actor Ben Kingsley played the lead role in the film. The movie was a massive commercial and critical success and went on to won eight Oscars, including the Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actor.
2. Lage Raho Munna Bhai (2006): This film will be one of best film that was made on Mahatma Gandhi’s philosophy and ideas and was also acceptable to young generation of India. This film gave the Sanjay Dutt's tapori spin to Gandhism and called it Gandhigiri in the film.
3. Gandhi My Father (2007) : The film was directed by a well-known theatre personality Feroz Abbas Khan. The film has explored the frantic relationship between Gandhi and his son Harilal Gandhi. The film was gain massive critical success and went on to win three National Film Awards.
4. The Making of the Mahatma (1996) : This was a masterpiece on Mahatma Gandhi and was directed by ace filmmaker Shyam Benegal. The film is based on Gandhi’s life in South Africa where he had a practiced law.
5. Article 15 : However, this particular film is not one of them that has portrayed Gandhi, but based on his ideologies. The great man would be disappointed to see that even after more than seventy-five years of independence, the country has not got rid of caste discrimination and all the crimes associated with it. The film tackles the sensitive topic with a more positive outlook.