Doi Mangsho aka Bengali Doi Chicken Curry is a curd loaded aromatic chicken delicacy which makes the food delicious is one of the most popular dish in West Bengal.
While you might have tried regular chicken curry at home during normal days try adding some curd and you will find the rich taste of the dish. It is a aromatic, rich chicken preparation with curd and is reddish color.
The Chicken curry when dominated with Curd brings a taste which is just over the top.
How to make:-
For marinating the Chicken you need
1) 200g Plain Curd
2) 2 tablespoon. Onion Paste
3) Half teaspoon. Ginger Paste
4) Half teaspoon. Garlic Paste
5) Half teaspoon. Cumin Powder
6) Half teaspoon. Coriander Powder
7) Half teaspoon. Bengali Garam Masala Powder
8) Half teaspoon. Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
9) Half teaspoon. Turmeric Powder
10) 2 tablespoon. Mustard Oil
For Tempering you need -
1) 2 inches Cinnamon Stick
2) 1 Dry Red Chili
3) 1 Bay Leaf
4) 4 Green Cardamom
5) 2 Black Cardamom
6) 2 strings Javitri/ Mace
7) 10 Clove
To make the Spice Paste you need
1) Half teaspoon. Cumin Powder
2) Half teaspoon. Coriander Powder
3)1 teaspoon. Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
4) Half teaspoon. Turmeric Powder
5) 1 tablespoon. Mustard Oil
Other main ingredients includes:
1) 100g Misti Doi/ Sweet Curd
2) 300g Plain Curd
3) 4 Onion (Finely chopped)
4) ½ teaspoon. Ginger Paste
5) 1 teaspoon. Garlic Paste
6) Half teaspoon. Bengali Garam Masala Powder
7) 1 teaspoon. Salt or to Taste
8) 2.5 tablespoon. Mustard Oil
9) Half teaspoon. Kashmiri Red Chili Powder (Optional)
10) Half teaspoon Turmeric Powder
Wash the chicken pieces properly.
1) Take Plain Curd, Onion Paste, Ginger Paste, Kashmiri Red Chili Powder, Garlic Paste, Coriander Powder, Bengali Garam Masala Powder, Cumin Powder, Turmeric Powder along with Mustard oil.
2) Marinate the chicken with the above mixture and then put the chicken inside the refrigerator for 8 hours.
Make a Spice Paste before cooking by mixing Cumin Powder, Turmeric Powder, Coriander Powder, Kashmiri Red Chili Powder and Mustard Oil to make a thick spice paste.
The final process of Cooking :-
1) Heat the Mustard Oil in a deep bottom pan.
2) Now temper the oil with Bay Leaf, Cinnamon Stick, Green, Dry Red Chili and Black Cardamom, Javitri and clove.
3) Add chopped onion and cook until the onions are brown in color.
4) Now add Garlic and Ginger paste and give a thorough mix.
5) Add little water to avoid burning and cook for a minute.
6) Add Misti Doi and Plain curd together and mix thoroughly and add a cup of water to avoid curdling.
7) Cook for 3-4 minutes and add salt to the mixture.
8) Add the spice mix and cook for two more minutes.
9) Add the Chicken along with the marinade.
10) Cook by covering the pan on low flame.
11) Cook for 15-20 minutes to soften the chicken.
12) After the chicken is cooked completely serve the dish with rice.