Toll booths to be removed: Nitin Gadkari's big announcement

I want to assure the House that within one year all physical toll booths in the country will be removed: Gadkari.

Removing toll booths, India is planning to implement complete GPS-based toll collection within one year, Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari said on Thursday. According to Gadkari 93 per cent of the vehicles pay toll using FASTag, but the remaining 7 per cent have still not taken it despite paying a double toll.


"I want to assure the House that within one year all physical toll booths in the country will be removed. It means that toll collection will happen via GPS. The money will be collected based on GPS imaging (on vehicles)," he said in the Lok Sabha during Question Hour.


The minister further said that he has instructed police inquiry for those vehicles which do not pay toll using FASTags. There are cases of toll theft and GST evasion cases if FASTags are not fitted in vehicles. FASTags, which facilitate electronic payment of fee at toll plazas, was introduced in 2016.

India Scanner News Network

Leave a comment