The Uttarakhand Government has decided to seal its borders for Kanwariyas from July 24.
To recall, the state government had suspended the Kanwar Yatra earlier this month. Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami said, “We have cancelled Kanwar Yatra in our state because protecting people’s lives is our priority.”
“People’s security is our top priority. That’s the reason why we cancelled the Kanwar Yatra even before the Supreme Court order. We will also inform the court about our stand,” he added.
Uttarakhand Director General of Police (DGP) Ashok Kumar, while announcing the decision, said that barring Kanwariyas, there will be no restriction on the movement of others.
With the start of the month of Shravan in the Hindu calendar on July 25, Kanwariyas begin to pour into Haridwar in large numbers to collect the holy water of the Ganga.