If we comb through the various symptoms of COVID-19 illness, the most common would be the breathing issue. The virus usually targets our respiratory organs and hence deters us from comfortable breathing. But there are a few sets of exercises that can improve your breathing. So if you are at home with COVID-19, you do the following exercises for breathing.
1. Be calm and just breathe. Get into a position that is most comfortable for you. Sitting on a comfortable chair can be a perfect position for exercise. Relax your shoulders and breathe slowly. While breathing purse your lips. Exhale slowly through the mouth.
2. Deep breathing is very useful in improving your respiratory health. To perform this exercise, first, stay in an upright position and relax your muscles. Then take deep breaths through your nose, hold your breath for 3 to 4 seconds and then breathe out through your mouth. Do this exercise for a minute. But stop if you feel dizzy or if a cough occurs due to the exercise.
3. This exercise is also about breathing. But in this case, you have to lie down on your belly. This exercise could be troublesome if you have neck or back pain issues. But if you can bear it, proning will be very beneficial for your respiration. You should not do this exercise immediately after taking meals. To perform proning, first choose a comfortable surface. Lie on your stomach and take deep breaths.
4. Regular movement is also very important to enhance your respiration. You don’t have to do sweat yourselves. Just walk slowly within your room. It will loosen up your muscles and will fight fatigue as well.
5. Humming is another useful exercise to strengthen your breaths. Set sit upright and put your hands on your stomach. Lips closed, take a deep breath through your nose and fill your stomach with air. Hold your breath for 4 to 5 seconds and then exhale through closed lips by making humming sounds. Repeat the process for a minute.
These exercises can be fruitful for you if your symptoms are mild. But if you feel severe breathlessness, severe chest pain, or dizziness then immediate medical attention will be required.