US President Joe Biden to mark 20th anniversary of 9/11 at all 3 memorial sites

The anniversary falls on next Saturday that is less than two weeks after the end of the roughly two-decade-long US war in Afghanistan

The United States President, Joe Biden will be visiting all the three September 11 memorial sites to mark the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks and pay his respects to the roughly 3,000 people that were due killed that day.

 

The White House announced on Saturday that the US President will first visit the ground zero in New York City, followed by the Pentagon and the memorial outside Shanksville, Pennsylvania, where United Flight 93 was forced down.

 

The White House said on same day that the Vice-President of United States, Kamala Harris will be travelling to Shanksville for a different event before joining Joe Biden at the Pentagon.

 

President Biden’s path is similar that to the one President Barack Obama followed in 2011 to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the September 11 attacks.

 

Barrack Obama’s visit to New York City corresponded with the opening of memorial at the site where the enigmatic World Trade Center towers once stood.

 

The anniversary falls on next Saturday that is less than two weeks after the end of the roughly two-decade-long US war in Afghanistan.

 

The war was launched weeks after the September 11 attacks to reciprocate against the al-Qaeda plotters and the Taliban, who had provided the terrorists a safe shelter.

 

President Joe Biden has found support from the public for ending the conflict but also has faced intense criticism, even from allies, for the disrupted evacuation of the US troops and cofederated Afghans during the final two weeks of August.

 

The President on Friday has directed the publicized of few documents that were related to the 9/11 attacks in a gesture toward victims’ families who have looked for long, the records in hopes of incriminate the Saudi government.

 

The dispute between the country's government and the families of the victims over what classified information could be made public came into the open last month after families and survivors has said that they would object to the president’s participation in the memorial events of September 11 if the documents remained classified.

India Scanner News Network

Leave a comment