Violent protest erupt in US after death of 20-year-old black man

The protestor lit candles and wrote messages "Justice for Daunte Wright" in chalk on the street

A violent protests have erupted near the US city of Minneapolis after the police shot Duante Wright, a young Black man who later died. The police used tear gas and flash explosions to disperse the crowd at Brooklyn Centre on Sunday night.

Hundreds of people gathered outside the police station in Brooklyn Centre, northwest of Minneapolis. The suburb of Minneapolis was under curfew early Monday, the protests place is not far from where a former police officer was on trial for the murder of George Floyd.

By around midnight local time (0500 GMT), the National Guard was came on the scene and Brooklyn Centre mayor Mike Elliott imposed a curfew from 1 am Monday until 6 am.

The mother of Daunte Wright told a crowd earlier Sunday evening that he called her to say he had been pulled over by police. Katie Wright, the mother said she heard officers tell her son to put his phone down, and then one of the officers ended the call. Soon after, her son's girlfriend told her he had been shot. A female passenger in the car suffered "non-life-threatening injuries" and was transported to a local hospital but her identity not disclosed.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension confirmed it was "investigating an officer-involved shooting incident" in Brooklyn Centre but declined to identify the victim.

After about an hour, the police presence eased, and the protestor lit candles and wrote messages such as "Justice for Daunte Wright" in chalk on the street. But clashes broke out again soon after as another group of several hundred protesters gathered outside the Brooklyn Centre Police Headquarters and were met with teargas and flash bangs.

Brooklyn City mayor Mike Elliott called the shooting “tragic”.

“We are asking the protesters to continue to be peaceful and that peaceful protesters are not dealt with force,” he wrote on Twitter.

The More National Guard troops moved into the area on Monday, to deal with potential unrest.

Photos from the protests showed men stomping on the windshield of a police cruiser. Police fired nonlethal rounds to try to disperse the protesters.

India Scanner News Network

Leave a comment